Azevedo Sette was recognized by Chambers Latin America guide as reference in several practices:
1. Corporate/Commercial: Centre West (Band 3): What the team is known for Solid team with noted experience in the drafting of a vast array of contracts and commercial agreements. Also advises on M&A transactions and joint ventures. Represents a varied client roster and is particularly popular with locally based companies emanating from the engineering and real estate sectors. Strengths Clients praise the team, highlighting its "technical legal knowledge," as well as its ability "to manage disputes." Interviewees continue: "They always fight our corner like true partners." Work highlights Advised Etec Empreendimentos Técnicos de Engenharia e Comércio on the sale of shares in the business. Notable practitioners: Associate-to-watch Paolla Ouriques is praised by clients, who state: "What makes me work with the firm is the client service provided by Paolla. Shes agile, knowledgeable and very committed." She is particularly active in real estate matters. Rodrigo Badaró is head and key contact in the practice.
2. Corporate/Commercial: South East: Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 1): What the team is known for Renowned full-service firm representing national and international clients from its headquarters in Belo Horizonte and network of offices throughout Brazil. Acts for a distinguished roster of private and public companies from the financial services, energy, pharmaceutical and real estate sectors. Specialises in advising buyers and sellers on M&A, restructuring and corporate governance. New client wins include Aperam and Smart Fit. Strengths Renowned for their strategic vision and vast experience in corporate law, one client states that "they stand out in the region because they are always up to date with regard to new trends in the market." Peers also praise their long-standing reputation, saying: "They are one of the oldest firms in the local market and have a long history of delivering good services with a great team." Work highlights Provided legal advice to the majority shareholders of Laboratório Hermes Pardini in relation to its proposed IPO. Notable practitioners Senior statesman Ordélio Azevedo Sette is a widely respected corporate lawyer with vast knowledge of project finance, compliance and anti-corruption cases. A client says: "He is an exceptional professional who works incredibly hard and is very dedicated to what he does." Eminent practitioner Fernando Azevedo Sette divides him time between the firms various offices. He is renowned for his work handling an array of corporate and commercial transactions, particularly in the mining sector. Luis Ricardo Miraglia is highly respected by both peers and clients for his technical skills and his hands-on approach. Sources comment: "He is very active in corporate deals and is probably one of the lawyers who works the most in this market." He has vast experience of advising clients on foreign investments including M&A and other commercial agreements. Frederico Bopp Dieterich is acclaimed by sources as "a fantastic lawyer who is very competent in public law and PPPs." They also commend his professional demeanour and negotiation skills. He offers additional capabilities in capital markets mandates. Ana Paula Terra is an up-and-coming practitioner increasingly acknowledged for her work in corporate law and M&A. One impressed client states: "She is organised, available and very objective."
3. Corporate/M&A (Band 3) What the team is known for Sizeable firm with significant geographical coverage offering solid expertise in the full range of corporate and M&A sector. Team is regularly retained by companies hailing from the construction, retail and food sectors to advise on the purchase and sale of shares, joint ventures and corporate governance issues. Also assists with corporate reorganisations and due diligences. Gucci and SmartFit are new client wins for the department. Strengths Clients say: "The team have full command of M&A matters, engender confidence and render a tailored service." Work highlight Assisted EstanteVirtual with its acquisition by 3H Participações. Notable practitioners Fernando Azevedo Sette draws upon more than 20 years of experience to advise domestic clients on M&A transactions, having particular skills in cases involving companies from the mining sector. He also advises on the negotiation of commercial contracts and financing issues. A client appreciates his "knowledge, availability and involvement." Luiz Augusto Azevedo Sette is a key contact in the practice.
4. Dispute Resolution: Centre West (Band 4) What the team is known for Represents construction and technology companies in a range of cases in the judicial and administrative spheres. Particularly active in credit recovery litigation and mass torts. Call Tecnologia e Serviços and Consórcio Brasília 2014 are new client wins. Strengths Clients praise the firms commitment: "The teams constant presence is very important to us and the partners dedication is also a crucial point in civil litigation cases." Work highlights Assisted Prisma Sys Informática with an intellectual property lawsuit in regard to anti-piracy software. Notable practitioners The "very articulate" co-head of department Rodrigo Badaró is "an excellent litigator who works really well before the courts and knows how to devise a good strategy for his cases," report sources.
5. Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Band 5) What the team is known for Noted firm assisting domestic and multinational companies throughout the country with the full range of civil disputes. Clientele also benefits from its expertise in class actions. Toyota and Embaré are new client wins. Strengths Clients commend the teams "swift service, reliability and technical knowledge." Work highlight Advised Toyota do Brasil on several lawsuits seeking payment for moral and material damages arising from the clients worldwide recall of frontal airbags. Notable practitioners Ricardo Azevedo Sette is the key client contact.
6. Dispute Resolution: South East: Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 2) What the team is known for Sizeable practice acting on a range of administrative and judicial procedures at state, municipal and federal levels. Routinely called upon to handle tax-related disputes. Andrade Gutierrez, Banco Semear and GE are amongst the new client wins. Strengths Market commentators highlight the firms prevalence in the field, noting: "We come across them all the time, they are always involved in important cases, both in mass litigation and in strategic litigation. Their teams can do both types of work." Work highlights Defended Anglo American Minério de Ferro Brasil in a case alleging that the company owed USD400 million because it had misreported the criteria used to value iron ore which was subject to a sale and purchase agreement. Notable practitioners Up-and-coming partner Marcos Augusto Leonardo Ribeiros practice covers civil litigation and arbitration. Sources report that "he is a very good lawyer who is always exploring different ways to represent us well in arbitration cases. He thinks outside the box in order to meet our objectives."
7. Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Band 3) What the team is known for Regional full-service firm boasting an established department that often provides legal opinions relating to mining projects. Team is also regularly instructed by national players to assist with transactions, such as the acquisition of mineral rights, in addition to advising on related environmental issues. Strengths One satisfied client comments: "The firm knows our business really well and provides strategic solutions to our issues." Work highlights Provided a legal opinion to Nexa Resources in connection with mining and real estate issues arising from several mining projects the client operates in Brazil. Notable practitioners Partner Fernando Azevedo is the key client contact.
8. International Trade/WTO (Band 4) What the team is known for Active international trade practice regularly sought out by clients in the plastic industry to handle anti-dumping investigations, sunset reviews, requests for tariff reduction and non-tariff barriers. Additionally assists with public interest procedures. Synthos and Magotteaux are new clients. Strengths Interviewees assert: "They are very reactive and efficient," adding that "they provided what we were looking for, and that is practical advice." Work highlights Successfully represented Minasligas in an anti-dumping proceeding before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal concerning the exportation of silicon metal from Brazil. Notable practitioners Much-admired head of practice Luiz Eduardo Salles garners praise from sources, who underline his "in-depth knowledge of international trade legislation, and particular strength in WTO matters," and also state: "He is objective, has an entrepreneurial vision and is focused on the goal without losing sight of the big picture." Clients praise associate-to-watch Lucas Mandelbaum Bianchini, saying: "He is always on top of things and is very swift and accurate in his responses." He regularly assists producers and exporters with anti-dumping investigations and sunset review proceedings.
9. Labour & Employment (Band 5) What the team is known for Active team with an established presence in Minas Gerais. Noted for assisting clients with labour disputes, acting on individual lawsuits and class actions. Also active in the negotiation of profit sharing plans, employment terminations and the review of internal HR policies. Strengths Sources value the firms structure, saying: "Besides having an experienced team, the firm has several branches which is perfect to assist clients with disputes spread across the country." Work highlights Represented Flytour Agência de Viagens e Turismo in several litigation mandates. Notable practitioners Leila Azevedo Sette is the key contact for clients.
10. Product Liability (Band 4) What the team is known for Belo Horizonte-based firm representing clients from the automotive, consumer goods and pharmaceutical industries in litigation mandates. Additional strength assisting with other consumer issues such as terms of warranty and customer service policies. Strengths Clients describe the team as "committed, available and prompt in their replies." Work highlight Represented General Motors in a lawsuit related to an alleged defective seat belt that was broken during an accident. Notable practitioners Ricardo Azevedo Sette is the key client contact.
11. Projects (Band 3) What the team is known for Minas Gerais-based practice group recognised for its capabilities in infrastructure mandates. Regularly retained by local companies hailing from the civil construction and air transportation industries to assist with public bidding rounds and PPPs, including the structuring of concession agreements. Cataratas do Iguaçu, 3G Fundo de Investimento and Acciona Água Brasil are new clients. Strengths Clients describe the department as "a very competent, agile and available multidisciplinary team, which is qualified to liaise with all stakeholders involved in a particular project." Work highlights Assisted Cataratas do Iguaçu and Radar PPP with the structuring of a project related to the revitalisation of municipal parks to engage in an Expression of Interest Procedure (PMI) released by the São Paulo municipality. Notable practitioners Senior partner Frederico Bopp Dieterich has 25 years of experience advising both public agencies and private companies on relevant transactions in the infrastructure sector, focusing on PPPs and contracts. One market source describes him as "an experienced negotiator in the infrastructure domain," while a client says: "He inspires confidence due to his in-depth knowledge of the matters."
12. Public Law (Band 3) What the team is known for Belo Horizonte-based firm known for regularly assisting construction, telecommunications and mining companies with public bidding procedures, concession agreements and privatisations. Substantial experience in the negotiation of PPPs, management of administrative contracts and sector-related litigation. Concessionária ViaRio and Samarco are new clients. Strengths Clients underline their "great technical competence, excellent client service and punctuality in meeting demands." Work highlight Advised Brasil Bolsa Balcão on strategic bidding processes. Notable practitioners Frederico Bopp Dieterich is singled out by clients due to his "high level of specialisation and technical quality, in addition to a good client service." He has a lengthy track record assisting construction companies and public bodies with infrastructure and PPP matters.
13. Tax: South East: Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 3) What the team is known for Full-service firm providing tax advisory services including tax planning and corporate restructuring as well as wealth management. Team also has a vibrant tax litigation practice. Clients are drawn from an array of industries with new wins this year including Grupo Oncoclinicas, Alliar and ArcelorMittal. Strengths Clients praise the quality and efficiency of the team, with one source noting: "Their lawyers have a high level of expertise and always provide fast responses." Work highlights Represented Votorantim Metais in multiple lawsuits and administrative proceedings against federal, state and municipal tax authorities. Notable practitioners Leandra Guimarães is well recognised in the market for her tax consultancy practice. One client describe her as "very qualified" and someone who "provides a high-quality service," while another underlines her "knowledge, agility and objectivity" as her major strengths.
14. Technology (Band 3) What the team is known for Full-service firm with a recognised team boasting solid capabilities in sector-related litigation. Also proficient providing counsel on non-contentious issues affecting technology clients. Possesses long-standing expertise in hardware and software distribution, development and licensing agreements and anti-piracy. Also instructed to handle data privacy matters. Strengths Interviewees say: "The team is experienced in this field and performs very well in litigation cases," and go on to assert: "They inspire great confidence and always thoroughly explain the risks." Work highlight Provided Red Bull Media House with legal advice in relation to strategic demands related to regulatory and contractual internet matters. Notable practitioners Senior Statesperson Ricardo Barreto Ferreira da Silva is the key contact for clients.
Read full text at https://www.chambersandpartners.com/Latin-America/firm/9537/azevedo-sette-advogados