Azevedo Sette was recognized by Chambers Latin America guide as reference in several practices:
- Compliance: Isabel Franco (Band 1) is described by a market source as "extremely experienced and qualified," while a client reports: "I have instructed her with high-profile cases multiple times due to her level of seniority," adding that "she provides advice in a very straightforward and client-oriented way." Franco is highly recognised for her experience in cross-border mandates, including the USA: "She is incredibly responsive, practical and knowledgeable not just of Brazilian law but global regulations as well," concludes an interviewee.
- Consumer Law (Band 4): What the team is known for Regional firm benefiting from a relevant national presence to represent domestic and multinational corporations from the automotive, retail and aviation sectors in consumer law disputes. Recognised for its track record handling a large volume of smaller claims involving defective products, warranties and client service policies. Turkish Airlines and General Motors are new clients. Strengths Market observers often highlight "the firms active presence advising on consumer litigation portfolios." Work highlights Retained by Mercedes-Benz to assist with its product liability litigation activity. Notable practitioners Ricardo Azevedo Sette is the key contact for clients.
- Corporate Comercial MG/ES (Band 1): What the team is known for Market-leading firm headquartered in Belo Horizonte with outstanding expertise advising on strategic M&A transactions and corporate governance work. Boasts additional abilities drafting and negotiating commercial and financial contracts as well as assisting clients with labour and employment matters. Regularly acts as counsel to local and international clients coming from a range of industries, including the mining, energy and technology industries. Omiexperience, Butiá Investimentos and CGN Group are new client wins. Strengths A client states: "They are a very well-versed team," highlighting: "They have a great legal knowledge and understand the idiosyncrasies of each clients business." Another client appreciates "the teams in-depth knowledge of local public authorities." Work highlights Advised Vale on the USD550 million acquisition of a 77.1683% stake in Ferrous Resources and its subsidiaries. Notable practitioners Partner Ana Paula Terra (Band 4) moves up in the rankings due to strong recognition from clients and peers for her abilities dealing with commercial transactions, with a particular focus on merger and acquisitions. A client confirms: "She is exemplary in the field of M&A in Belo Horizonte," adding: "She is very good at negotiations, as well as very committed and available." Another client appreciates "her in-depth technical knowledge." Eminent practitioner Fernando Azevedo Sette co-heads the department and remains highly appreciated in the market due to "his legal knowledge and strategic thinking," according to a client. Another source also highlights the role he plays within the firm saying: "He is great at managing the team." He has experience advising key clients of the firm on complex M&A transactions, sophisticated commercial contracts and financial investment agreements. According to sources, Frederico Bopp Dieterich (Band 2) has great experience assisting clients with complex issues in the public law and infrastructure arenas, with particular expertise in the development of public-private partnerships and public concession projects. He is also recognised for his additional abilities dealing with insurance matters. Prestigious department co-head Luis Ricardo Miraglia (Band 1) is acclaimed in the market due to his distinguished abilities handling corporate and commercial transactions. A client is quick to report: "He may be the lawyer with the deepest experience on M&A matters," adding: "He has a vast amount of knowledge not only of mining-related issues but also of other sectors." Another interviewee also states: "I have worked with him in some transactions and I recognise him as a true expert on M&A issues." Highly esteemed senior statesman Ordélio Azevedo Sette co-heads the department and continues to be very recognised for his track record in the region. A commentator reports: "He is an authority in the legal market in Minas Gerais, no doubts about it." Other interviewees also state that "he is a great corporate lawyer" and "he has been at the forefront of the legal market for many years."
- Corporate/M&A (Band 3) Highly Regarded: What the team is known for Full-service Belo Horizonte-headquartered firm providing corporate advisory to a substantial roster of national and multinational clients, including private and publicly owned companies. Demonstrates notable activity handling corporate deals in the mining, healthcare, and food and drink industries, among others. Equally comfortable representing buyers or sellers in acquisitions of controlling and minority stakes. Strengths A client praises "their great relationship with clients, technical knowledge and availability." Work highlights Advised Vita Participações on the acquisition of 100% of the capital stock of Hemolad Serviços de Hemoterapia e Hematologia. Notable practitioners Fernando Azevedo Sette, Luiz Augusto Azevedo Sette, Luis Ricardo Miraglia and Ordélio Azevedo Sette are the key client contacts.
- Dispute Resolution: South East: Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 3): What the team is known for Well-known local firm with a solid national footprint undertaking disputes before judicial and administrative courts. Clients hail from a variety of sectors, including automotive, telecommunications and technology players. Well equipped to represent domestic and multinational companies in a range of areas within the field of civil litigation, including product liability, consumer protection and commercial disputes. General Electric, Direcional Engenharia and Unidas are new clients. Strengths Commentators believe that "Azevedo Sette is a strong firm in Minas Gerais," and the same source also points out: "They are responsive, trustworthy and also have a good market penetration in other regions of the country." Work highlights Represented Peugeot Citroën in a rescissory action filed against the State of Minas Gerais for non-payment for vehicles purchased, with a total value of BRL11.3 million. Notable practitioners Co-heads of department João Capanema, Leonardo Farinha Goulart and Marcos Augusto Leonardo Ribeiro are the main contacts for clients.
- Energy & Natural Resources Mining (Band 3): What the team is known for Well-regarded firm based in Belo Horizonte with proven skill tackling mining matters on behalf of domestic corporations. Regulatory expertise spans both the contentious and non-contentious spheres. Also benefits from experience handling environmental issues and due diligence related to mining M&A transactions. Notable practitioners Leonardo Pereira Lamego is the key client contact.
- International Trade / WTO (Band 3): What the team is known for Noteworthy department maintaining an active presence in the field acting on trade remedies investigations, including sunset reviews and anti-dumping proceedings. Experienced team is often called upon to represent the Brazilian government before the WTO. Also advises important private corporations and trade associations hailing from the plastic, electronic and telecommunications markets on public interest procedures. Eletros and IBF are new client wins. Strengths A market observer notes: "Azevedo Sette possessesa unique blend of commercial and technical capabilities," also highlighting that "their expertise includes government-related work in the international trade area." Work highlights Represented JBF Bahrain in an anti-dumping investigation regarding Brazilian imports of PET films from Peru and Bahrain. Notable practitioners Associate-to-watch Lucas Mandelbaum Bianchini garners praise from clients, who believe that "he is very receptive to working in a multicultural environment, skilled, flexible, in addition to boasting very good people skills." Bianchini regularly assists with WTO disputes, as well as trade remedies proceedings, such as sunset reviews and anti-dumping investigations. According to a client, practitioner Luiz Eduardo Salles (Band 2) is "an international trade specialist who draws upon in-depth regulatory expertise to bring extremely valuable impact to clients," and they add that "he can translate highly complex matters into concise and practical advice."Salles often represents Brazilian exporters before the WTO, in addition to undertaking trade remedies investigations, including anti-dumping and sunset review matters. "Luizs reputation precedes him. I enjoy very much working with him and find him to be extremely responsive," concludes a commentator.
- Labour & Employment (Band 5): What the team is known for Solid firm based in Belo Horizonte frequently sought out by energy and pharmaceutical players to assist with contentious labour mandates. Team often acts on both individual and class action lawsuits, handling remuneration and termination of employment issues. Also well placed to act as counsel to companies on the review of their human resources policies. Strengths One market commentator says: "They are a well-known firm providing good-quality work in this sector." Notable practitioners Leila Azevedo Sette is the key contact for clients.
- Projects (Band 5): What the team is known for Minas Gerais-based firm with recognised strength handling infrastructure projects. Team has experience providing counsel to clients on public bidding rounds, as well as structuring PPPs. Routinely instructed to assist domestic construction companies with the negotiation, management and execution of related contracts, such as EPC and O&M agreements. Strengths A market commentator attests: "They are very strong at PPPs." Notable practitioners Belo Horizonte-based partner Frederico Bopp Dieterich is highly praised by market commentators due to his activity in the area. One interviewee confirms: "He has a strong presence in projects in Minas Gerais,"while another reports: "He is involved in project development matters."
- Tax MG/ES (Band 3): What the team is known for Full-service firm with a skilful team providing legal opinions and consultancy covering a wide range of fiscal issues. Often performs tax due diligence in the context of M&A deals, in addition to representing clients in judicial and administrative disputes at municipal, state and federal levels. Regularly instructed by clients from the mining, pharmaceutical and engineering sectors. Localiza, Gira Agro and ESAB Group are new clients. Strengths A commentator appreciates "the teams qualification, availability and good relationship with clients." Work highlights Assisted Oncoclínicas Group with a lawsuit to reverse the exclusion of one of its companies from a federal tax amnesty programme. Notable practitioners Leandra Guimarães (Band 2) enjoys a well-earned reputation in connection with her multidisciplinary expertise. "She is a very good practitioner who also works on accountancy matters," says an interviewee, while another source adds that "she is an excellent consultancy lawyer." Her expertise spans a wide range of industries, including engineering, healthcare and insurance, with clients relying on her advice on tax compliance and due diligence.
- Technology (Band 4): What the team is known for Full-service firm retained by a diverse client roster, including players from the technology and telecommunications industries, to assist with the drafting of licensing agreements. Team demonstrates additional capabilities handling regulatory and data protection issues, as well as hardware and software distribution contracts. Also experienced in contentious cases arising in the technology industry. Strengths A market commentator says: "They are a very traditional name in the technology sector." Notable practitioners Ricardo Barretto Ferreira Da Silva is the key client contact.
- Telecommunications: Senior statesman Ricardo Barretto Ferreira da Silva was involved in the first wave of privatisations in the sector. He continues to be endorsed by market commentators, who highlight his historical contributions to the telecommunications industry. He draws on his many years of experience in the field to advise companies on contractual matters and tax structures.
Read the full ranking at https://chambers.com/law-firm/azevedo-sette-advogados-latin-america-9:9537