Azevedo Sette was recognized by Chambers Latin America guide as reference in several practices:
1. Compliance: Acclaimed partner Isabel Franco (Band 1) is highly seasoned in internal and governmental investigations and is often retained to assist with multi-jurisdictional cases involving the USA, as noted by a client: "She is a true expert who knows both the Brazilian and US law." A source also appreciates her "ability to control a negotiation room, efficiently and clearly handling sensitive matters," while another concludes: "She is brilliant; she has a business focus and is hands-on during the cases."
2. Consumer Law (Band 4): Strengths One client says: "We like to work with the firm on consumer litigation matters because they are dedicated and achieve high success rates." Notable practitioners: Ricardo Azevedo Sette is the key contact for clients.
3. Corporate/Commercial: South East Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 1): Strengths Clients appreciate "the high quality of the analyses provided by the team, which allows us to make informed decisions with confidence." Another source describes the department as "a one-stop shop comprised of professionals who are really good and solution-oriented." Notable practitioners: Up-and-coming partner Ana Paula Terra maintains a growing local practice and receives plaudits from a number of market commentators, who recognise her active presence assisting domestic and foreign companies with contracts, M&A and corporate financing mandates. She regularly advises players from the mining, financial and real estate industries. Eminent practitioner and name partner Fernando Azevedo Sette is recognised in the market for his work handling a variety of corporate and commercial transactions. Clients also praise "his great commercial awareness," adding that "he is able to see the bigger picture and find opportunities within M&A transactions." Another source emphasises: "He is a prudent lawyer who boasts a good level of legal knowledge." Azevedo Sette is particularly well versed in cases hailing from the mining sector. Admired partner Frederico Bopp Dieterich (Band 2) climbs the rankings on the back of impressive feedback from market commentators. While one source declares that "he is a reference in the infrastructure sector," another confirms this, saying: "He often represents significant construction companies in sizeable cases." Dieterich often represents domestic corporations and investment funds in acquisitions, in addition to boasting "a good track record in the field of public contracts," as reported by a peer. Distinguished partner Luis Ricardo Miraglia (Band 1) continues to be held in high esteem by market sources for the strength of his local practice, as acknowledged by a commentator who judges that "he is one of the most well-equipped lawyers in Minas Gerais." Another interviewee praises "his great capabilities as a negotiator" and adds: "Luis Ricardo is very experienced and can search for options within a transaction, in addition to being very knowledgeable of finance and accountancy." He stays active assisting clients with M&A and other commercial agreements. Distinguished senior statesman Ordélio Azevedo Sette continues to be widely recognised due to his long-standing expertise as a local corporate lawyer. While a client highlights "his excellent commercial awareness," a market commentator acknowledges him as "a reference in the market." Another interviewee adds to his praises, saying that "he is the heart of the firm." He offers outstanding capabilities in connection with project finance, compliance and anti-corruption cases.
4. Corporate/M&A (Band 5) Strengths Clients say: " One client highlights that the lawyers are "bold and available, providing good legal advice while maintaining a business-oriented approach that is fundamental for our company." Notable practitioners Fernando Azevedo Sette and Luiz Azevedo Sette is a key contact for clients.
5. Dispute Resolution: Centre West (Band 4) Strengths Clients One impressed client says: "They are a true partner and we fully trust them," adding that "the team shows us all the possible scenarios to allow us to be informed when deciding which way to go." Notable practitioners: Co-head of department Rodrigo Badaró (Band 4) draws upon more than 15 years of experience to assist players from the construction segment with civil disputes and administrative litigation. One interviewee reports that "he is active dealing with significant local cases," while another source regards him as "a great strategist and good planner who acts before superior courts."
6. Dispute Resolution: South East: Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 2) Strengths Market Clients say: "The team is very available, senior and agile in elaborating solutions that work for our company," adding: "We have a very close relationship with the partners and all professionals within the department." Notable practitioners: Up-and-coming partner Marcos Augusto Leonardo Ribeiro is well equipped to assist recognised local and national companies in a wide range of litigation and arbitration mandates. "Marcos is a very competent and knowledgeable lawyer who recently impressed us with a very complete and enlightening legal opinion about a civil issue," reports one source. He usually advises clients on corporate and product liability disputes.
7. Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Band 3) Strengths One source praises the "trustworthy team of lawyers" for its "considerable experience in the day-to-day matters that mining companies have to deal with in Brazil." Notable practitioners: Leonardo Pereira Lamego is a key contact for clients.
8. International Trade/WTO (Band 3) Strengths Sources endorse the teams capabilities, reporting that "they are well aware of the WTO legislation and also very diligent and co-operative." Notable practitioners Active associate-to-watch Lucas Mandelbaum Bianchini boasts considerable expertise assisting Brazilian producers and exporters with trade remedies investigations, in particular anti-dumping and sunset review proceedings. He is also qualified to support clients with WTO disputes. His clientele regularly stems from the plastics and agribusiness sectors. "Sophisticated and knowledgeable" head of department Luiz Eduardo Salles (Band 3) comes recommended for "his considerable knowledge of the WTO regulations," as endorsed by a market commentator, while another source adds that "he is brilliant, very qualified, diligent and offers a great client service." His dynamic practice spans trade remedies investigations and customs issues, with particular expertise representing Brazilian exporters in anti-dumping cases.
9. Labour & Employment (Band 5) Strengths An interviewee says: "The team is technical and organised, and the firm has the structure to handle sizeable cases." Notable practitioners: Leila Azevedo Sette is the key contact for clients.
10. Projects (Band 4) Strengths Clients appreciate "their comprehensive knowledge of the practice area and creativity and agility when delivering a service." Notable practitioners: Belo Horizonte-based head of department Frederico Bopp Dieterich (Band 5) boasts a solid track record furnishing advice to domestic companies on a vast array of matters. "Frederico has a very strong activity in connection with PPPs and also gets involved with some project finance mandates," according to a market source, while another says: "He handles the structuring of contracts, including EPC and O&M agreements."
11. Public Law Strengths underline their "great technical competence, excellent client service and punctuality in meeting demands. Notable practitioners Frederico Bopp Dieterich (Band 4) is singled out by clients due to his "high level of specialisation and technical quality, in addition to a good client service." He has a lengthy track record assisting construction companies and public bodies with infrastructure and PPP matters.
12. Tax: South East Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo (Band 3) Strengths Multiple sources single out the firms presence in the region, with one client commenting: "The team is experienced and has great knowledge in both contentious and preventive tax matters." Notable practitioners: Leandra Guimarães (Band 2) is acclaimed for the strength of her tax consultancy practice, as endorsed by one client: "Leandra is renowned and very knowledgeable in this space due to her many years of expertise." She is well equipped to undertake the full range of direct and indirect taxation, in addition to regularly advising on transaction-related mandates. A source praises "her in-depth and excellent analysis of cases, which inspires confidence in the clients decisions," while another highlights "her commitment to provide high-quality work."
13. Technology (Band 4) Strengths "The team is experienced in this field and performs very well in litigation cases," and go on to assert: "They inspire great confidence and always thoroughly explain the risks. Notable practitioners Ricardo Barreto Ferreira da Silva (Senior Statespeople) is the key contact for clients.
Read full ranking at https://www.chambersandpartners.com/Latin-America/firm/9537/azevedo-sette-advogados